Saturday, 28 January 2012

grateful :: australia

I know it's all a little bit cliché, being the week of Australia Day, but oh well. This week, I am very grateful for living in this country. Actually, every day of every week, I am grateful. I'm a news watcher, and it seems that every second news clip is about some kind of riot or terror attack or a ridiculous celebrity break up in another country. At times there are awful things that happen here, but hardly ever.

Imagine living in in Baghdad and being in fear of your life every second of every day that a suicide bomber might be standing right next to you about to kill you and other innocent people around you. Imagine living in Africa and not knowing when or if you will get your next meal, or even worse, having your baby die in your arms because you are so emaciated that you can't produce milk to feed him or her.

I'm sorry if I'm being a little morbid here, but we live in possibly the best country in the world - even with a leader that doesn't really know what the hell she is doing {sorry to any Julia lovers out there}. No wonder there are so many people trying to hitch a ride on a boat to get here.

We have it all. The amazing beaches, mountainous ranges, wide open spaces, beautiful & laid back {mostly} people. I know it's not all rainbows and lollipops, but it must be one of the most loved countries in the world. Over 100,000 people migrate to Australia every year, after all. There must be some attraction. I think there is anyway.

I'm all for being quietly patriotic though. We spent our Australia Day at home in peace and quiet. I am supposed to be resting, but it wouldn't have been any different if I wasn't sick. We love Australia, but I'm not a southern-cross-tattoo-bearing-over-patriotic person who needs to reinforce my Australian-hood every Australia Day by getting drunk whilst being wrapped in an Australian flag. I know I'm Australian. I'm so grateful that I'm Australian and I would never want to live anywhere else.

This has been a little bit of a rant, I know, I'm sorry.

All I really wanted to say is "Thank you for having me, Australia. I will be eternally grateful."


5 comments:

  1. lovely post. and I'm no julia lover either.. is that your gang doing the light writing?? that looks awesome! hope you are getting lots of rest x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are truly blessed to live on this wonderful land...a fantastic thing to be grateful for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie? So true, Lauren. We are lucky ducks over here. I've travelled the world and there is much to see and marvel at, but we still came back here when it was time to settle down. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you lovely ladies. xo

    Tahnee, no, not my pic - I just forgot to put the link under it - whoops! I've corrected it now :) Hope you are having a lovely rest too x

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to leave a comment x