Friday, 10 February 2012

For Maxabella - Chicken, Mushroon & Zucchini Pie

One of the recent #febphotoaday subjects was dinner. Our dinner that night was Chicken, Mushroom & Zucchini pie. It's a recipe that I have adapted from a Donna Hay recipe, but I don't even read the recipe anymore. I just add the ingredients ad lib. I often cook meals like that. I have a lot of recipe books that I look at but don't use often enough. I fly by the seat of my pants in the kitchen and hope it all turns out ok! I always follow a cook book for baking, however. There's no telling what would happen if I didn't follow a recipe for a cake, but there's no doubt that it would end up being a flop!

Onto this recipe. I don't have exact measurements for anything, so sorry if you like being exact. But here's a rough idea of what I use. This makes for a lasagne dish pie. Halve the recipe if you don't what this much.



Ingredients

  • 2 leeks (I didn't have any leeks so I used 4 onions)
  • 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, or less or none if you don't like garlic - we love it :)
  • 700-800g chicken breast, cubed (you could also use thigh meat if you like, or a combination of the two)
  • Chicken stock - 2-3 stock cubes + water (I use Massel stock cubes. Not sure why, but I use them for anything that requires stock)
  • 4 or 5 large mushrooms, chopped
  • 3 or 4 small zucchini, chopped
  • 1-2 tablespoons of cornflour & cold water
  • Tarragon
  • Salt & pepper, to taste
  • Four sheets of puff pastry, milk or butter for brushing


In a large pan, heat some olive oil & cook the leeks (or onions) & garlic until they are soft. Add in the chicken and brown lightly. From here I add in the stock. I just simply put in two or three cups of water in the pan and throw in the stock cubes. Add in the mushrooms, the zucchini, salt & pepper to your liking and a sprinkle of tarragon. {I love the taste of the tarragon in this dish. It gives it a unique flavour.} I then turn down the heat and let the mixture simmer away. I leave it uncovered while simmering, and keep stirring occasionally to cook the vegetables through. If the mixture doesn't have enough liquid, add a little more water. Right at the end I add the cornflour mixed in a little cold water to thicken the liquid up. Once everything is cooked through, transfer the mixture to a lasagne dish. {When I made this, I had too much liquid, so I just drained some off so that the pie doesn't overflow while cooking in the oven.} Place the pastry over the top of the dish and brush with some water or milk. Place in a preheated oven at 180C. Cook until the pastry has puffed up and is golden brown. Serve & eat.

Sometimes I use spinach or kale instead of zucchini, and that works just as well. I have this obsessive compulsive thing where I need to have something green in each and every meal that I cook. Must. Have. Green.

The original recipe called for cream, but I don't really use cream much {coming from a dairy farmers daughter, that isn't ideal - I think I overdosed on milk products as a child}. Hope I haven't left anything out. I'm rather tired and looking for my bed, but have been meaning to get this on here as I've had a couple of requests. Thanks for the nudge Bron x

2 comments:

  1. oh that looks really good...guess what will be on this week menu plan here..thanks..Im the same with the recipe books look for ideas then make them up as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Nice to 'meet' you. Your post made me smile, as I too need to include something green in every meal. Even if my lasagne or pie is packed with vegetables, some buttery kale on the side makes it a complete dish for me... My husband thinks it's quite amusing.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to leave a comment x