Thursday, 15 March 2012

banana cake :: a recipe

Last Friday I promised the small that we would do some baking. She loves cooking. Not just baking, but helping with all meals that are being made. Especially the prep side of it - chopping vegetables, pouring ingredients, trying to crack eggs, turning on the mixer. I try to them make her eat the vegetables, bribing her with the "You help cut them, you have to help eat them". It doesn't really work for the most part. Her most favourite thing to eat is avocado. As long as there's avocado in the meal, I know she'll eat something. Anyway, I'm getting off track. Lets get to the recipe.

This is my Nanna's recipe. It's probably similar to other Banana cake recipes. Or maybe even the same. But it's tried and tested in this house and in her house before that. I couldn't even tell you the amount of times I've made it, but the main thing is that it always comes out perfect.

You'll need the following ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup {125g} butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar {I use golden castor sugar}
  • 2 eggs
  • 3-4 large bananas {I use 4, and find the riper the better - frozen are even better with the extra mush}
  • 1 & 1/2 cups SR flour
  • 1 tsp bi-carb soda dissolved in 2 tbsp milk
Preheat the oven to moderate temperature & grease a tin. {I prefer my fluted moulded tin, but a ring or round tin works fine as well}. Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, 1 at a time, then add mashed bananas. Add sifted flour alternately with the milk and soda mixture. Pour into greased tin and bake for 1/2 to 3/4 hour, or until cooked through.

I then usually ice it with regular icing sugar, hot water and a dash of vanilla essence. There's always a bright colour added as well. Usually yellow, but for this one we went with red. I use gel food colouring usually. It's so much more vibrant than regular food colouring.

For something different, sometimes I like to chop up 1/2 a block of good quality dark chocolate and add to the mix before pouring into the tin and ice with chocolate icing.














Of course, being the only one home while the other girls at school, it's prime time to be baking. No one else to share the licking of the bowl and spoons with!

Enjoy x

2 comments:

  1. I can vouch for this one, tried and tested, two thumbs up. GREAT pics x

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's that lush cake again! x

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to leave a comment x