Tuesday, 24 April 2012

anzac

{taken at the War Memorial in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea}

COURAGE :: ENDURANCE :: MATESHIP :: SACRIFICE

Words that link together what ANZAC Day truly means.
Men and women of our country, standing up for what they believe is right.
Standing side by side. Looking out for one another.
Fighting hard battles, and sometimes even dying for their country.
This is one of the most important days of the year in Australia.

Nearly two years ago, I visited the War Memorial at Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
This was after I had just endured the 96kms that is the Kokoda Trail.
I wanted to walk in these soldiers shoes.
I wanted to feel the hurt they felt.
It got me. Right through to my bones.
Those graves.
Some of them were only boys.
As a mother, a sister, a wife - it breaks my heart.
These men, and all those that fight for this beautiful country of ours.
They are the heroes that we celebrate.
They are what makes this country amazing.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
LEST WE FORGET.







No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to leave a comment x